Friday, January 3, 2014

New Years Resolutions

I usually don't really do much in the way of New Years resolutions.  I've just never really been one to plan that far ahead.  Looking back on 2013, it has been a big year for me.  Nothing major or super life-changing has happened, but there has been a lot of changes made on the inside.  I feel like this has been one of the biggest years for emotional and spiritual growth....and I also think I've grown up a little bit more too.  I guess that happens when you hit your thirties, huh.  Maturity and patience level go up and metabolism and butt firm-ness go down.

- This year I've made a lot of changes to my diet.  I have decided that I can no longer go on consuming as much sugar as I have in the past.  My plan is to continue to stick with my healthy new way of eating for the remainder of my life, so of course that is included in my plans for 2014.  I began this journey in September, and so far I have found the fortitude to stick with it through several holidays.  Although I have taken two weeks off for Christmas and have eaten pretty much everything I can get my hands on.  I have lost around 35-40 pounds depending on what time of the day I get on the scale.  Still have a ways to go until I'm at a weight I'm comfortable with, but I'm in no hurry, since I'll be eating like this the rest of my life.  I'll do another post one day about my diet and how I eat.   I happen to find nutrition and science totally fascinating....so I can go on about it for quite awhile.

             Me in September on the left (yikes, my arm is as big as my head)                          
 35 lbs later on the right (need a body shot)
                                   

-Another goal this year is to exercise more....or at least some...right now I'm not doing anything.  I have plans to invite some girlfriends over a couple times a week to do yoga in the living room to yoga videos on amazon prime, lol.  that should be interesting.  I always think I'm going to do it on my own, but I never do.  I used to have a membership to Gold's gym and I used to go at least three times per week, but I can't do that anymore since I babysit a little girl full time, so I let the membership lapse.  I would have to get up at the crack of dawn and go, or go in the evenings....and we both know that isn't going to happen.  I also have plans to meet another girlfriend of mine and go and walk the dam nearby.  Its about 3 miles and it's a beautiful walk.  We used to do it, but have stopped since it has gotten so cold....so that will start back up again.  I really want to start running again.  I used to be able to run for 45 minutes strait....now I doubt I could go for two minutes.


-I have started this blog.  I really want to make it into something worth while.  I want to be a contributing part of the DIY/home decor blogging community.  So my goal is to find an audience this year and to make sure I blog regularly....and get better at taking photos! 

-I also want to be more organized.  I am burning with the itch to completely gut my entire house.  Problem is, there really isn't enough time in the day.  My husband took off an entire week earlier this year for me to do just that (he watched the kids and handled my normal duties) and I worked from sun up to sun down the entire time he was off.....and I maybe got halfway through everything.  We have lived in this house for too long and have acquired too much stuff! I will get through it though.  I think the key is little, consistent, non-overwhelming bites, one at a time.


-I want to be better at teaching my children.  I often get so overwhelmed with the duties of stay-at-home mother-hood because I try to do everything myself.  I feel like I'm trying to dig myself out of a hole with a tiny spoon and all four of my kids (and sometimes my husband) are standing next to it with big shovels just tossing the dirt in on top of me.  It's so overwhelming sometimes.  I know my kids are old enough, and that I would be so much more successful and we'd have much more time if I could just master the self discipline of stopping and making each child do a job.  Teaching them how to do it correctly and making sure to follow up after them to be sure it was completed correctly.  My goal is to be consistent with making my children do chores and keep the house picked up.  A friend once told me that if you spend the time teaching your kids to do the chores, then you're killing two birds with one stone.  You are spending time with your kids and your house gets clean.  The way I'm going right now....I send them off to one room (away from me) and I clean it....then I go to the room they are in and send them to a different room (away from me) and I clean that.....and we go round and round the house, making rooms dirty and cleaning them.  It clearly isn't working. , and I"m not spending the quality time with my kids that I'd really like to be spending with them.  I've been looking up some fun charts and good ways to organize chores lists, so I'll let you know what I come up with.


-Quality over quantity.  I'm going to try to adopt a new mantra.  I'd rather have 1 nice thing that will last and be useful for a long time, than 10 pieces of crap...whatever the thing is, I think this rule applies. My goal is to remove all of the "crap" from this house and start saving up and stocking up little at a time for quality stuff.  No more melted plastic spatulas.....I need a nice set of glasses in my kitchen, instead of a bunch of 88 cent plastic disney cups from wally world.  We have some nice stuff, but altogether it's mostly crap.  

I really could go on and on with these, but since I plan to revisit this next January and see how well I did....maybe I should stop here.  I don't want to put too too much on my plate.  Besides I have a whole list of house goals to accomplish as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment